Whether you’ve overindulged the night before or not, the hangover is the cure for what ails ya. You may have seen a hangover burger before at some burger joints. The general idea is that its a variation on a breakfast burger, sometimes with some spice, usually with some hearty ingredients. Even if you’ve recently made some poor choices, this burger is always a good call.
Spice Up Your Burger
For our variation of the hangover burger we’re not going to be shy. I think nothing goes better with breakfast food than a little spice to kick it up. Who can go wrong with salsa on eggs or a breakfast burrito? For the base of our burger we’re going to mix up some ketchup, Sriracha and mayo for a spicy aioli. This not only gives some spice (vs normal ketchup) but a nice creamy texture.
Adding Hash Browns
Then on top of our burger patty we’ll add some hash browns. There are a couple options you can take for making these… either buy potatoes, shred and cook them or you can just buy some frozen ones and cook them up to save time. The hangover burger is all about soaking up or providing a solid base for the day, and these hash browns will do it!
Next up, what else goes better with breakfast than bacon! Of course, we’ve gotta add in some bacon. You can do this one in a pan or follow this easy recipe for cooking bacon in the oven.
Finish Up the Hangover Burger with an Egg
Finally, we’re going to add an egg to this bad boy! I’ve cooked my egg sunny side up for this one, but over easy works just as well (the difference being that over easy is cooked on both sides). Either way you get the runny yolk which adds something special to this already awesome burger.
To get the top of the sunny side egg cooked:
- get some oil hot
- put in the egg
- wait for it to cook a bit
- put a lid over the top for a few minutes, or spoon some of the hot oil onto the top of the egg.
There you go! Enjoy this hangover burger recipe and get on with your day!
- 1/2 Tbsp Sriracha add to your spice preference
- 2 Tbsp Ketchup
- 2 Tbsp Mayo
- 2 Lbs Ground Chuck Beef 80% lean / 20% fat
- 4 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- 4 Slices Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Bag Frozen Hashbrowns or made fresh from 2 shredded potatoes
- 8 Pieces Bacon
- 4 Eggs
- 4 Hamburger Buns
- Mix Sriracha, ketchup and mayo in a bowl and set aside.
- Begin cooking bacon. You can put it in a pan, in the oven for about 15-20 min at 400 degrees. Pull bacon out 5 minutes early and brush with maple syrup mixture. Put it back in the oven until done.
- Cook your hash browns to the instructions on the bag, or peel & shred a couple of potatoes, and cook in hot vegetable oil until browned, turning part way through.
- Get your grill/pan/etc hot for the burger.
- Salt & pepper the ground beef and then divide into 8oz (1/2 lb) portions (or you can use smaller 6oz portions). Flatten into patties that are about 1/2 inch larger than the buns.
- Put a thumbprint in the middle of the patty so it doesn’t puff up when cooking.
- Grill your burgers about 4min on the first side.
- Flip burgers and add cheese after a couple minutes. Cook until you reach the correct temp (140F for medium), usually about 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add cheese about a minute before removing from grill.
- To cook eggs - add 1-2 tbps of vegetable oil to a pan and heat. Add 1-2 eggs at a time and let them sit for about a minute. Cover with a lid to harden top. Jiggle the pan to see if the egg has solidified. (note that uncooked eggs can be unsafe and eat at your own risk, be careful with the quality of your eggs!)
- Stack up the ingredients and enjoy!