Who says you can’t have a burger for breakfast? Well, the breakfast burger is awesome no matter whether you have it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Toast seemed to fit well with breakfast so we started the burger with sourdough bread (an english muffin is also a good alternative).
Most breakfast burgers have an egg, so we’ve added an over-easy egg along with some bacon. Cooking an egg over-easy is pretty simple. Just put a pad of butter in a your pan and wait till it’s melted & foamy, carefully add your egg so it stays in one area of the pan. Then wait for the white to solidify and carefully flip it to cook the other side.
Finally we topped our burger off with some good old peanut butter. To some this may sound like an odd choice for a burger, but if you haven’t had it yet, you have to try it. If you’ve got a juicy burger and some egg yolk in there it doesn’t dry it out. The combination goes surprisingly well.
The Blue Door Pub here in MN makes a Jiffy burger with pepper jack, bacon, chunky peanut butter and mayo. The mayo seems like an odd choice there, but it moistens up the PB a bit and is a combo with trying out.
Regardless of the time of day, enjoy the breakfast burger!
- 2 Lbs Ground Chuck Beef 80% lean / 20% fat
- 4 Eggs over-easy
- 8 Slices Sour Dough Bread
- 4 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- 8 Pieces Bacon
- Peanut Butter
- Cook your bacon in a pan in the oven at 400 deg for about 15-20 min.
- Get the pan for your burger hot on the stove, and another pan with some butter hot for the eggs (once the butter has melted switch to low heat).
- Salt & pepper the ground beef and then divide into 8oz (1/2 lb) portions. Flatten into rectangular patties that are about 1/2 inch larger than the bread.
- Put a thumbprint in the middle of the patty so it doesn’t puff up when cooking.
- Cook your burgers about 4min on the first side, and start cooking your eggs in the other pan. (If you've got a large pan you can do more than one at at time otherwise take turns)
- Flip burgers at cook until done (140F for medium).
- Toast your bread and stack everything up, topping a piece with your peanut butter.