The peanut butter burger is a gooey, but delicious mess.
Once you get the peanut butter on the cooked burger it’ll start to melt and become extra delicious. Make sure you’ve got some extra napkins on hand for this one, it’s worth it!
After the first time I had a peanut butter burger out at restaurant I told a friend they had to give it a try. Their immediate reaction was “ewww peanut butter on a burger?”.
Trust me, if you like peanut butter, you’ll love this.
Peanut Butter Burger Secrets
I’ve had some peanut butter burgers that weren’t great, and there are a few tricks to make sure it ends up tasting awesome. The main thing that can go wrong when making a PB burger is getting too dry. The best way to avoid this is making sure you don’t over-cook the burger. Another trick taken from the Blue Door Pub here in MN is to add some mayo.
We’re going to put some mayo on the bottom of the bun to keep this guy juicy. Then of course we’re going to top it off with some bacon. You can’t go wrong with that salty sweet meaty combo.
Peanut Butter Burger
- 2 Lbs Ground Chuck Beef 80% lean / 20% fat
- 4 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- 4 Slices Pepper Jack Cheese
- Peanut Butter chunky or creamy
- 8 Pieces Bacon
- 4 Hamburger Buns
- Begin cooking bacon. You can put it in a pan, in the oven for 15-20 min at 400 degrees.
- Get your grill/pan/etc hot.
- Mix salt and pepper with the meat. Flatten into patties that are about 1/2 inch larger than the buns.
- Put a thumbprint in the middle of the patty so it doesn’t puff up when cooking.
- Grill your burgers about 4min on the first side.
- Flip burgers. Put the buns face down on the grill. Cook until you reach the correct temp (140F for medium), usually about 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add cheese to burger about 1 min before it's done.
- Put a nice spread of mayo on the bottom bun. Add the burger. Spread peanut butter on top of the burger (it'll get melty and gooey after a few seconds). Top off with bacon & eat up!
You never said where to put the cheese
Would like to try
Thanks for catching that, added it in!
Oh my goodness!! This shouldn’t be good but it is soooo good! Lol
For those of us who absolutely despise mayonnaise, is there an alternative? I love peanut butter and have heard of these burgers in the past. Just never tried one. I imagine there’s no need for mayo, as I make a juicy burger on the grill, but I want to make sure I get the proper experience.
I’ve heard of people using extra virgin olive oil as a spread. I would imagine that peanut oil would be a shoe in for this recipe. For that matter,considering that peanut butter is 1/3 peanut oil, you might just as well spread that on the bun.
Personally, I can’t stand Miracle Whip, but if you hate real mayonnaise, that would be the first alternate.
You might try some Philadelphia Cream Cheese. It’s not a replacement for mayonnaise, but in my head it sounds like it would compliment the burger.
I don’t like mayo either. I’ve found out that Greek Yoghurt with a few spices does the trick. It’s a lot lighter and not that invasive. You may wanna try it.
Come to think of it, peanut butter and mayonnaise make a unique combination by themselves. I don’t think you could replicate the experience with ANYTHING else. I imagine that you’ll hate it, but try a plain old peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwich. Yeah, I know, you hate mayonnaise, so you’re going to feel like scraping it off of your tongue with a fork. My point is that I need to note the unique way that the two flavors combine. Now try it with peanut butter and miracle whip. It’s not the same. You’re going to have to knuckle down and try some Real Mayonnaise to get the true experience. I recommend Hellman’s, or one of the many off brands that Hellman’s sells their mayonnaise under.
Other alternates might be sour cream or Ricotta, but in my head neither of those work with the recipe, let alone as a unique combo on a peanut butter sandwich.