Ahh, buffalo sauce… on wings, chicken sandwiches, salads… always delicious no matter how it’s served. I was inspired by the classic buffalo wings to turn this into a buffalo chicken burger.
First off we started with some shredded chicken. If you’ve got extra time you can do this slow-cooking in a crockpot, or if you’re trying to be speedier you can cook it on the stove. For this example I went with the stove top. You can then shred the chicken and sauce immediately, or refrigerate it to make your buffalo chicken burger later.
Tip: if you want to sweeten up the buffalo sauce mix it with some honey. If you want to spice it up mix in some cayenne pepper.
Our wings usually come with some celery on the side, which is a good way to add some crunch so we’re putting it on top. Buffalo wings are also served with ranch or blue cheese, so… why not top this guy off with both? Now you’ve got a sandwich to smile about.
Buffalo Chicken Burger
- 2 Lbs Ground Chuck Beef 80% lean / 20% fat
- 4 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- 2 Sticks Celery
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- Blue Cheese
- Ranch Dressing
- Buffalo Sauce
- 4 Hamburger Buns
- Get a skillet or pan with lid that is large enough for your chicken. Put some oil in the pan and set heat to med-high.
- Salt and pepper chicken and add to hot pan. Cook for 5 min until golden brown on one side.
- Flip chicken and add water to cover the chicken. Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes (cook to 160 deg).
- Remove chicken and allow it too cool a bit before shredding. You can use a couple of forks to do this and pull it apart with the grain of the chicken.
- You can save the chicken for later in the fridge or move on to the burger.
- Cut up celery into medium thin slices.
- Get your grill/pan/etc hot.
- Salt & pepper the ground beef and then divide into 8oz (1/2 lb) portions (or you can use smaller 6oz portions). Flatten into patties that are about 1/2 inch larger than the buns.
- Put a thumbprint in the middle of the patty so it doesn’t puff up when cooking.
- Grill your burgers about 4min on the first side.
- Flip burgers. Put the buns face down on the grill. Cook until you reach the correct temp (140F for medium), usually about 2 to 4 minutes.
- Mix chicken in skillet/pot with buffalo sauce and if needed heat for a couple of minutes.
- Put the burger on the bun, top with chicken, then ranch, then blue cheese crumbles, and finally the celery!