When it comes to sides, there’s not much that comes close to good mac and cheese. I’m going to even raise the stakes from there and make buffalo chicken mac and cheese. Awesome!
First off, forget the cheese dust packet. It’s not tough to make mac and cheese with real cheese, and it’s so much better. All you need is some milk, flour, butter, and cheese. We’re looking to step up our game with this buffalo chicken mac and cheese, so we’ll switch that up a bit.
The first ingredient we need for our buffalo chicken mac and cheese is some chicken. You can cook a chicken breast in the oven and shred it, or cook some ground chicken in a pan. If you don’t want any chicken, I’m sure this is as great without it.
Making the Sauce
Mac and cheese should be creamy & delicious. To accomplish that, we’re going to mix in some ground mustard, eggs, cornmeal, evaporated milk and buffalo sauce. Stir that all up so it’s blended.
Pile on the Cheese
We’ve got a ton of flavor going into this buffalo mac and cheese recipe, so we’re going to use some basic cheddar and American cheeses. Then to add a little more killer flavor we’ll top it off with some blue cheese.
If you’re not doing the buffalo mac, you can follow this same recipe and switch up the cheese. You’ll want to use a cheese that melts well such as:
- Monterey Jack
Also some of these come aged but you’ll want to avoid that and use a ‘young’ version of the cheese.
Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- 1 Lb Elbow Macaroni
- 2 Cups Shredded Chicken about 2 small chicken breasts
- 12 Oz Evaporated Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 Cup Buffalo Sauce Franks Red Hot
- 1 Tsp Ground Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Corn Starch
- 1 Lb Sharp Cheddar grated
- 8 Oz American Cheese
- 1 Stick Butter
- Blue Cheese to top
- First cook & then shred your chicken (you can do this in a pan or in the oven for about 15-20 min).
- Set a pan of water to boil and add some salt.
- Add noodles & cook until just beginning to soften (about 8 min).
- While noodles are cooking, mix eggs, buffalo sauce, mustard, corn starch, & evaporated milk in a med/large sized bowl. Stir until blended.
- Grate cheddar cheese and cut American cheese into smaller cubes and set aside.
- Strain pasta. Add butter and pasta to hot pan over low heat. Stir until butter is melted and then add sauce, cheese, and chicken.
- Continue stirring until cheese is melted. Remove from heat, serve & top with blue cheese. Enjoy!