The caprese burger is a take on a caprese salad, which has fresh mozzarella cheese, tomato, and basil. If you haven’t had this, it’s an awesome, fresh tasting combo. It’s also very similar to bruschetta.
We’re taking that Italian flavor and combining it with a burger. Delizioso!
For this caprese burger, I combined the core mozzarella, tomato, and basil flavors with some olive oil, salt, pepper, and toasted the bun for a little more crunch like you’d get in bruschetta.
I’ve seen some people also add balsamic vinegar to the top of these so you could give that a shot as well. This burger is pretty light and refreshing. If you want more punch I think some Italian-type peppers or even a touch of cayenne might work on the burger.
Another quick tip: I’ve been using this burger press to quickly make perfect burgers. It’s especially helpful when you want to make a bunch of burgers.
- 4 Hamburger Buns
- 1 lb Ground Beef 80% lean / 20% fat
- 1 Tomato
- 1 ball Mozzarella fresh – usually in with fancier cheeses
- 1 bunch Basil Leaves
- Olive Oil
- Slice tomato, mozzarella, and basil leaves
- Flatten meat into patties that are about 1/2 inch larger than the buns. Flavor with salt & pepper.
- Cook burger on grill or in cast iron pan with oil.
- Flip burger after seeing moisture build on top.
- Add mozzarella to melt & optionally toast buns on grill. Cook burger to 140 for medium, 150 for medium-well.
- Place burger on bun topped with tomato slice & basil. Add a drizzle of olive oil and some salt & pepper. Enjoy!