The Caprese burger is a take on a Caprese salad, which has fresh mozzarella cheese, tomato, and basil. If you haven’t had this, it’s an awesome, fresh-tasting combo. It’s also very similar to bruschetta.
We’re taking that Italian flavor and combining it with a burger. Delizioso!
For this Caprese burger, I combined the core mozzarella, tomato, and basil flavors with some olive oil, salt, and pepper, and toasted the bun for a little more crunch like you’d get in bruschetta.
I’ve seen some people also add balsamic vinegar to the top of these, so you could also give that a shot. This burger is pretty light and refreshing. If you want more punch, I think some Italian-type peppers or even a touch of cayenne might work on the burger.
Another quick tip: I’ve been using this burger press to quickly make perfect burgers. It’s especially helpful when you want to make a bunch of burgers.
- 4 Hamburger Buns
- 1 lb Ground Beef 80% lean / 20% fat
- 1 Tomato
- 1 ball Mozzarella fresh – usually in with fancier cheeses
- 1 bunch Basil Leaves
- Olive Oil
- Slice tomato, mozzarella, and basil leaves
- Flatten meat into patties that are about 1/2 inch larger than the buns. Flavor with salt & pepper.
- Cook burger on grill or in cast iron pan with oil.
- Flip burger after seeing moisture build on top.
- Add mozzarella to melt & optionally toast buns on grill. Cook burger to 140 for medium, 150 for medium-well.
- Place burger on bun topped with tomato slice & basil. Add a drizzle of olive oil and some salt & pepper. Enjoy!