It’s time to mix things up and try a burger on a different sort of bun – a quesadilla! The quesadilla burger tastes like a delicious taco, but with cheesy grilled tortillas.
If you’ve been to an Applebee’s restaurant, you may have had a quesadilla burger before. This is going to be pretty similar without being an exact copycat.
Quesadilla Burger Toppings
There are all kinds of awesome toppings you can choose from for this burger. Some options include:
- salsa / pico de gallo
- bell peppers
- black or pinto beans
- avocado / guacamole
- jalapeño or chipotle peppers
- sour cream
Feel free to pick out your favorites, or follow along with the choices I made. For my version I’m adding some pico de gallo, sliced avocado, diced jalapeños, and shredded lettuce.
Finally, I’m topping it off with a mixture of 50/50 ranch and taco sauce. You can’t go wrong!
Making The Quesadilla Burger
To make this a quesadilla burger, we’ll take two small tortillas and top with shredded Mexican cheese. Cooking them is simple. Just grease a pan and put it over med-low heat for a few minutes. Then toast the tortillas until the cheese on top melts.
To add some extra flavor to the burger meat, we’re adding in some cumin and chili powder. Then shape your burger to match the size of the tortillas. It’ll be a little bigger than a normal burger. Keep in mind that the burger will shrink up a bit as its cooked.
Once you’ve cooked up the burger, drop it on one of the tortillas and then stack up your ingredients. This burger is awesome – but slightly messy. To make it easier you could try and eat it with a fork/knife… or get a good knife and slice it right in half.
Enjoy your amazing quesadilla burger!
- 1 Lb Ground Beef 80% lean / 20% fat
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin
- 1/4 Tsp Chili Powder
- Cooking Oil
- 8 Small Tortillas
- Shredded Mexican Cheese
- Shredded Lettuce
- 2 Avocados sliced
- 1 Jalapeño optional
- 1 Cup Pico de gallo or salsa
- 1/2 Cup Ranch Dressing
- 1/4 Cup Taco Sauce
- Prep toppings by dicing jalapeño and removing avocado seed & slicing
- Set out 8 tortillas (2 for each burger) and top each with shredded cheese.
- Mix burger meat with cumin & chili powder. Divide into 4 patties that are about the size of the tortillas.
- Cook on grill or in pan on the stove turning once half way through. Cook until done (140F for medium) about 1.5 min per side or 2x that on the grill.
- Lightly coat 2nd pan with cooking oil and heat to med/low heat. Place tortillas (as many as will fit at a time) with cheese up on the pan and wait for cheese to just melt. Remove & add additional tortillas.
- Place burger on tortilla, top with your ingredients. Finish off with the ranch-taco sauce and the other tortilla. Cut in half and enjoy!
When there’s more than one form of an ingredient, it’s nice to have specified which is meant. I think you want flour tortillas here, but freshly made corn ones might work as well, while supermarket ones probably wouldn’t.