The classic Cuban sandwich (el cubano) is a heavenly combination of pork, ham, swiss, mustard and pickles. Our Cuban Burger is going to take this delightful combo into burgerland. One bite of the Cuban Burger will take you right off to Miami.
The Cuban Sandwich may have had roots in old Cuba, but it’s known history takes it back to South Florida as it was a favorite of the Cuban workers. It later migrated up to Miami and out across the country from there. Though it is said you can’t find an authentic Cuban Sandwich outside of Florida.
The Cuban Burger has some cumin and oregano mixed in the meat to add a little flavor. Then topped with a thick-cut slice of ham. Next it’s loaded up with pulled pork and layered with some thinly sliced sweet pickles (if you want more pickle flavor you can add some extras to the bottom of the burger). Finally top this Cuban burger beast off with some yellow mustard and enjoy!
- 2 Lbs Ground Chuck Beef 80% lean / 20% fat
- 4 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- 2 Tsp Cumin
- 2 Tsp Oregano
- 4 Slices Swiss Cheese
- 4 Slices Ham
- Pulled Pork
- Sweet Pickles
- Yellow Mustard
- 4 Ciabatta Buns or cubano bread
- For your pork, you can get pre-roasted / shredded pork, or you can do this yourself.
- Slice pickles into long, thin slices.
- Get your grill/pan/etc hot.
- Mix salt, pepper, cumin, and oregano with the ground beef and then divide into 8oz (1/2 lb) portions (or you can use smaller 6oz portions). Flatten into patties that are about 1/2 inch larger than the buns.
- Put a thumbprint in the middle of the patty so it doesn’t puff up when cooking.
- Grill your burgers about 4min on the first side.
- If ham and pork need to be warmed you can put them on a sheet of tinfoil on the grill.
- Flip burgers and immediately add cheese. Cook until you reach the correct temp (140F for medium), usually about 2 to 4 minutes.
- Stack up all the ingredients: Burger / Ham / Pork / Pickles / Mustard. If you'd like some extra pickles you can sneak them in below the bun as well as the Cuban Burger is mighty meaty!
Great burger recipes and fantastic looking burger. Can I link to you? USe your photo? Where do you get the cocktail sticks with the cuban flags..I like them
Hey Sean, thanks! Yeah you can use the photo if you link back to the site, that’d be great. For the sticks I got an image of a cuban flag from google and printed it at about an inch or so. Then I cut it out and taped it to a toothpick =)