There’s nothing quite like a big potluck table with an assortment of delicious food to pick from. That’s the vibe I get when I make this chicken salad with grapes. It’s a recipe that my mom used to make when we were kids and I always loved it, so much that I’ve continued to cook it up on occasion.
There’s a lot going on in the chicken salad with grapes, but it’s actually pretty light tasting because of the whip cream & mayo topping. I’ve used this both as a side dish and as a whole meal. So totally up to you how you’d like to serve it up.
Chicken Salad with Grapes – Serving Size
The chicken salad is also fairly dense with chicken so if you want more servings out of it and are using it as a side, feel free to add more noodles (its 10-12 servings as a side maybe 4 as a main). At minimum 1 cup (I usually go for 1.5 cups), but you could probably get away with at least a 2-2.5 cups.
This recipe just calls for some cubed chicken breasts, but I think that’s a good opportunity to add a bit of extra flavor if you’d like. You can go simple with salt & pepper, or try a cajun or other spice on the chicken to liven it up a bit.
Finishing It Off
I like topping this off with some slivered almonds to give some extra crunch. You can also try topping it off with walnuts if you’d like to change it up a bit.
Finally, I do recommend letting this cool in the refrigerator before eating. Having all the ingredients about the same temp makes this much better. And the whip/mayo topping seems off to me if it’s not cold.
Another suggestion… if you’re eating this as a main meal, I like having it with muffins… the cool chicken salad with grapes and warm muffins just seems right!
Chicken Salad with Grapes
- 3 Cups Chicken 3 larger chicken breasts
- 1 Cup Grapes halved
- 1 Cup Celery Chopped
- 1.5 Cups Uncooked Macaroni Shells
- 1 Cup Mayo or Miracle Whip
- 1 Cup Whip Cream
- 1 Tbsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Celery Salt
- Salt & Pepper to flavor
- Slivered Almonds or walnuts
- Salt and pepper chicken breasts and then cook in the oven at 325 until done (about 20 min). When done let the chicken cool for a 5-10 min and then cube / cut into bit-sized pieces.
- Meanwhile boil water and cook mac shells until tender.
- Cut grapes in half & slice celery into small pieces.
- Mix chicken, shells, celery, grapes, onion powder & mayo together in a large bowl.
- Put in fridge to cool for at least a couple hours. Stir in whip cream & nuts before serving.