You can try to create as many gourmet burgers as you like, but if you don’t have the basic cheeseburger mastered you won’t get far. That being said, we don’t want any ‘basic’ cheeseburger, this is Burger Artist… so let’s fancy it up and make it a Royale with Cheese (nod to Vincent & Jules).
The key to making a great burger is having quality toppings and great meat. You can read all about getting the best beef in our guide, but the short version: get ground chuck that is 80% lean, 20% fat. That way you’ve got a shot at getting the most flavorful, juiciest burger possible… if you prep & cook it right.
Again, we’ve got a guide to burger cooking that covers the best cooking process no matter how you’re getting that tasty piece of meat ready to eat. The breakdown here: grilling burgers might make you feel tough, but don’t bruise that beef… put your salt and pepper on and then quickly shape it into a patty. Press a thumbprint in the middle to keep the shape and you’re ready to rock.
For ingredients we’re just going with the classics but feel free to improvise with whatever you see fit for your ideal burger. I went with Tillamook cheddar, tomato, onion, and lettuce. Some additional classic options to consider: pickles, grilled onions, ketchup, mustard, mayo.
Royale with Cheese
- 2 Lbs Ground Chuck Beef 80% lean / 20% fat
- 4 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- 4 Slices Tomato
- 1 Onion
- 4 Leaves Lettuce
- 4 Hamburger Buns
- 4 Slices Cheddar Cheese Tillamook
- Cut up the tomato & onions and get the lettuce all set to go.
- Get your grill/pan/etc hot.
- Salt & pepper the ground beef and then divide into 8oz (1/2 lb) portions (or you can use smaller 6oz portions). Flatten into patties that are about 1/2 inch larger than the buns.
- Put a thumbprint in the middle of the patty so it doesn’t puff up when cooking.
- Grill your burgers about 4min on the first side.
- Flip burgers and immediately add cheese. Put the buns face down on the grill. Cook until you reach the correct temp (140F for medium), usually about 2 to 4 minutes.
- Stack up the ingredients and enjoy!
View All Our Burgers